Part 1: THE MEAT
- 4 lbs Karlton pork butt
- 20-ounce carton Florida Natural pink grapefruit juice
- 12-ounce can Orange Crush
- 6 whole cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion sliced in half
- 2 jalapenos, cut in half horizontally, seeds in
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbls. achiote (find this at a Mexican market)
- 1 Tbls. sea salt
- Set oven to 250 degrees
- Cut pork into fist-sized chunks. Sprinkle with salt.
- In a Le Cruset round oven (found at the Greenhouse), sear pork on all sides. Once sufficiently seared, pull the pork out, and add onions and jalapenos (both face down) as well as the garlic. Sear on medium-high heat.
- Dump off the excess fat from the pork. Add pork back into the mixture. Add oregano, Achiote, and Orange Crush and grapefruit juice to the new mixture. Slow cook in the oven for 6-8 hours.
- Once finished, remove lid from your dutch oven and place it in the fridge to cool.
- Once cooled, pull all the fat and veggies off. Using your hands, pull the pork apart. Save one ounce of the braising liquid- that’ll come in handy soon.
Part 2: THE AIOLI
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 oz fresh lime-juice
- 1 oz braising liquid (from earlier)
- 2-2 ½ cups olive oil
- Put everything but the oil in a food processor. Mix them together, slowly drizzling in the oil. Mix until smooth.
Part 3: CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 2 medium onions, thickly sliced.
- Canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- In a saucepan, heat canola oil. Add sliced onions. Move them around in the pan until translucent and golden.
- At the very last second, add a pinch of salt
Part 4: THE SANDWICH
Ingredients: (makes 8 sandwiches)
- 2 bread farm Parisian baguettes, warmed
- 2 bunches cilantro, chopped
- 2 small jars banana peppers, drained and chopped
- 8 slices of black forest ham
- 16 slices of Swiss cheese
- Aioli from earlier
- Pork from earlier
- Onions from earlier
- Liberally spread aioli on two slices of baguette.
- Build sandwich to match this from the bottom up:
- Baguette top
- Carmelized Onions
- Slow Roasted Pork
- Banana Peppers
- Baguette bottom